Thursday, June 11, 2009

Farewell MS Money

I've used MS Money since 1997. I still have that OEM disc from '97 that came with some computer. I tried Quicken around that time, but they started CALLING ME and sending me junk mail. Bad move Intuit. I've used MS Money ever since.

I sent in a rebate for MS Money 2000, but Microsoft never sent me my check. Bad move MS. That's when I decided to quit buying it retail. I used to look in Half Price Books for 1-2 year old copies of MS Money still in the shrinkwrap - I've never banked at some obscure institution so the latest-and-greatest was never necessary. I stuck with it even through the Passport nag screen years. While never the best product, it was always functional. I've been building various toy pieces of a web-based personal finance manager for years. QIF importer. Analysis Services cubes of my financial info. A bill scheduler. But MS's functional product always won out over my 1/2 baked pet projects designed to teach me a technology rather than build a real product.

And now, it's going the way of Windows ME. Farewell MS Money. 1/3 of what I know about family finanace I learned from you. 1/3 from God's Word. And the final 1/3 from pre-calc in High School. Especially in this time of financial lostness - when our government and its people believe only in deficit spending, we need to leverage technology to help us change our habits. I know how much I spend on eating out versus buying groceries. Entertainment vs. savings. Taxes vs tithe. Would knowing change your habits? Would goals and rewards help? I know I need all that. While MS removing its offering won't leave a sucking void, I wish it would have because that might say something different about the financial health of Americans. I think it's time for me to get coding again! ASP.NET MVC framework, here I come!

2 comments:

Nancy said...

I finally made it to your blog this afternoon before leaving work. The only paragraph I understood was the one where you describe your sons in "Dims and Semicolons." And I read all - well almost all - of your text. This is great writing, Matt, enjoyable even when you're speaking a language I don't. Oh yes, I "got" your final paragraph, above, too. I'll be back. NG

Nancy said...

I finally made it to your blog this afternoon before leaving work. The only paragraph I understood was the one where you describe your sons in "Dims and Semicolons." And I read all - well almost all - of your text. This is great writing, Matt, enjoyable even when you're speaking a language I don't. Oh yes, I "got" your final paragraph, above, too. I'll be back. NG