With props to Shakespeare's The Merchant of Venice, "at the length, truth will out". Yesterday's news of Governor Mark Sanford's affair is yet another headline in a long list of politicians who've fallen prey to infidelity. Consider this list of some of the more recent ones:
- Governor Mark Sanford. South Carolina Republican. June 2009 admitted an affair. Married to Jenny.
- Senator John Ensign, Nevada Republican. June 2009 admitted an affair. Married to Darlene.
- Senator John Edwards, North Carolina Democrat. August 2008 admitted an affair. Married to Elizabeth.
- Congressman David Vitter, Louisiana Republican. Name turned up in a prostitution ring, and admitted the affair in 2007 while married to Wendy.
- Senator Larry Craig, Idaho Republican. Arrested in 2007 for lewd homosexual conduct while married to Suzanne.
- Governor Jim McGreevey, New Jersey Democrat. In 2004, admitted to a homosexual affair with a man while married to Dina.
- Governor Eliot Spitzer, New York Democrat. In 2008, admitted to an affair with a prostitute while married to Silda.
- President Bill Clinton, Arkansas Democrat. In 1997 admitted cheating with Monica Lewinsky while married to Hillary.
Malachi 2:15 - Has not the LORD made them one? In flesh and spirit they are his. And why one? Because he was seeking godly offspring. So guard yourself in your spirit, and do not break faith with the wife of your youth.
Proverbs 5:18 - May your fountain be blessed, and may you rejoice in the wife of your youth.