Thursday, January 7, 2010

A new look

When I first created this blog, the idea was to get me to start writing again. And, it's mostly worked. I don't have as much time or motivation to do it as I'd like, but little by little I'm penning a small percentage of my thoughts. And as I did that last year, I noticed some limitations of the Blogger layout I picked.

The theme itself was too pedestrian and distracting.  It was also pretty common amongst other folks that use blogger.  It wasn't me.  It wasn't distinct.  The centered content pane with the side gutters was just too small, and made it difficult to talk about and showcase code.  A friend of mine underwent an overhaul of his blog's look awhile ago and it looks nice and is distinctly his and leaves you with an impression.  Of course, he hardly ever posts to it, so it has to be beautiful in order to have any significance on the net (hint, hint... dig, dig).

So now that I've begun to understand how I want to use my blog, I wanted a theme that would fit with my style.  It's simple and understated - highlighting content and not design.  It's functional, and allows more room for the type of stuff that I want to write about.  And it's easily customized rather than just taken as-is from Blogger's can-o-themes.

Also, I have this habit of naming all my machines at home after water features, and there's something about it that really appeals to me.  So, in keeping with my tradition, the header image here is ice in a glass, and the favicon is an ice cube.  Once I set that up, I plugged in jQuery, Google Analytics, made my external links open in a new windows again, added corner roundings, and made few other small tweaks to the template.  We'll see how this all pans out, but on initial inspection, I really like it.