Thursday, February 4, 2010

It's all been done before...

One of the reasons I built our family's DVR is to keep from seeing all the terrible commercials. Specifically, a lot of the commercials for suspense and horror films are just awful. But, it's pretty difficult not to see the first and final commercials in the break. The first commercial is when you begin skipping if you can locate the remote, and the last one is the one you have to rewind back to when you skip ahead too far.

One of the commercials I keep accidentally seeing is for a movie called Shutter Island. I've not seen anything but the trailer, and I have no interest in seeing it at all, but it amuses me to no end what they're trying to pull. WARNING - SPOILER AHEAD...

This movie is based on a book I haven't read, or even heard of, but it's so obvious what the plot is. I'm 99.999% positive it's the same plot twist as A Beautiful Mind and Fight Club. You're supposed to identify with the main character and be so engrossed in his plight that you don't realize that's he's completely insane. He's not some outside investigator researching the asylum, but an inmate in the asylum himself. There - I saved you from wasting 2 hours of your life.