Monday, January 25, 2016

Microblogging and the false need to write big, profound thought-pieces

I haven't blogged in like 3 years, and it's for one simple fact - Facebook took over as a way to give and receive informal updates, blowing the need for a personal blog out of the water. I, like many others, found that personal blogging lacks meaningful feedback and instead attracts trolls or worse, silence. But Facebook became its own evil, forcing me to make a decision last year to quit that entirely - the obsessive status checking, the self-promotion, the addictive encouragement, and of course, the incessant behavioral tracking. I've never found value in Twitter - too little can be said with too many people saying it and for what exactly? So, maybe the result of all this discovery in the age of social media is that, for someone like me who lacks any real sense of FOMO and naturally experiences JOMO before it was a thing, maybe it's time to not worry so much about presenting a perfect self or a perfect thought or perfect written prose on that thought and just share what I have on my mind today and let that be good enough.